Around Grenoble, Isère is an ideal multifaceted destination to discover on a road trip in a motorhome or converted van. From the cultural sites of Grenoble to the Grande Chartreuse monastery and the legendary ascent ofAlpe d’Huez, discover the must-sees near our campsite in Isère and our parking tips for motorhome owners.
Visiting Grenoble in a motorhome
At the foot of the mountains, Grenoble’s historic center is a maze of pedestrian streets where you can stroll and discover an architectural and cultural heritage that stretches from antiquity to the present day. A city to discover at your own pace or on a guided tour. The Musée de l’Ancien Évêché and the Musée de Grenoble are among the must-sees. End your day with a magical moment at the Bastille, the ideal spot to admire the city at your feet. To get there, hop aboard Grenoble’s cable car: an unusual and magical moment high above the historic center.
Where to park your motorhome in Grenoble
- Parking near the Château de Sassenage: rue Pierre de Coubertin in Sassenage, just outside Grenoble, 9 free spaces limited to 48 hours.
- Parking on the banks of the Drac: an area set up by the Trois Pucelles campsite in Seyssins, on the outskirts of Grenoble, less than 15 minutes by bike from the city center, which is also served by the streetcar.
Alpe d’Huez by motorhome
A winter sports resort located on the mountain pastures of the village of Huez, Alpe d’Huez and its 21 bends have been made legendary by cycling. Renowned for its sunshine, the resort offers a wide choice of activities in both summer and winter. In summer, skiing and Nordic sports give way to hiking, via ferrata, climbing and cycling. Don’t miss the panoramic route de la Roche and a visit to the Musée d’Huez et de l’Oisans to discover the history of the region. Perhaps the most beautiful ski resort in the Southern Alps accessible by motorhome.
Where to park your motorhome in Alpe d’Huez
- Motorhome park at Alpe d’Huez : at the Altiport parking lot, 11 euros per 24 hours, water and toilet facilities available.
- Motorhome parking at the foot of Alpe d’Huez: caravanning pitches in Isère over 90 m2 with electricity at the À la rencontre du Soleil campsite, including pool access.
Discover the Chartreuse Massif by motorhome
North of Grenoble, the Chartreuse massif stretches along the Isère valley towards Chambéry. In the heart of the massif and its emerald forests, the Grande Chartreuse monastery has been inviting visitors to contemplate for over 900 years. A visit here is an opportunity to discover a unique architectural and historical heritage, and to learn more about the daily life of the Carthusian monks. A little further on, the chartreuse distillery and cellars can also be visited to discover the secrets of the ancestral green beverage.
Where to park your camper van in the Chartreuse Massif
- Parking in Saint-Pierre-de-Chartreuse: the Couzon staging area, just a few minutes from the monastery, offers 16 spaces, a WiFi hot spot, 6 and 16 amp electricity terminals, water connection and a drainage point.
- Parking in Saint-Hugues-de-Chartreuse: at the foot of Dent de Crolles and Chamechaude, a small parking area without water or electricity, but free of charge.
The Deux-Alpes glacier by motorhome
In Oisans, in the Écrins massif, the resort of Les Deux-Alpes is one of Isère’s must-see sites. The ski area offers 410 hectares of slopes accessible to all up to 3600 meters altitude. Summer skiing on the glacier. A little further down, the rest of the estate becomes a paradise for mountain bikers, trail runners and cyclists in summer.
Where to park your motorhome in Les Deux Alpes
- Motorhome parking in Les Deux-Alpes: at the municipal parking area at Côte du Gay, 24-hour pass at 12 euros, including wastewater and toilet emptying, drinking water supply, electricity and parking.
The Vercors Regional Nature Park by motorhome
An unmissable destination in Isère, the high plateaux of the Vercors will seduce you with their panoramic roads and wide-open spaces. The natural park is renowned for its high limestone cliffs and unusual scenery. To the south of the Park, Mont Aiguille is a mountaineer’s paradise. The Vercors plateaux are a delight for cross-country skiers and snowshoe trekkers, with their renowned Nordic areas. Head for the resorts of Col de l’Arzelier, Autrans-Méaudre-en-Vercors, Gresse-en-Vercors, Villard-de-Lans or Saint-Nizier-du-Moucherotte.
Where to park your motorhome in the Vercors
- Park your motorhome near the Choranche caves: in Presles, on the D292, there’s a small, shady parking lot with no water or electricity.
- Park at the foot of the Gresse-en-Vercors resort: at a place called À l’Oche, day-night parking authorized for 24 hours. Service package 5 euros.